“I believe in the powers of ordinary men and women; in their immense potentialities. I do not believe in the 'chosen few': I believe in us all."- Robin Tanner, Quaker faith & practice 21.36
The quote (right) from Robin Tanner (Qf&p 21.36) is at the heart of Quaker service.
Friends give their time, skills and talents in many ways, from peacework to organising, from governance to professional expertise.
Friends who offer service can be led to achieve great things. Supported by our Nominations team, find out what Quaker service can do for you.
Each year hundreds of Friends serve with Quaker central committees and groups. Bringing their skills, insights and gifts together their work drives our commitment to ensure a better world. Friends may find themselves surprised about where the Spirit leads them.
What roles are available?
BYM work is helped and directed by committees that answer to BYM. Quakers from across Britain serve on these committees and groups. Service can divide into four broad categories:
- Quaker Governance ensures that Britain Yearly Meeting is well run. These committees and groups make sure our work is in accord with Quaker faith and values.
- Quaker Connections reach out to make connections with other groups. These can be other Quaker meetings across the world, or other faith groups.
- Quaker Life works to support and strengthen Quaker life throughout the yearly meeting.
- Quaker Peace & Social Witness works to translate our faith into action.
For full information, visit the Committees and Groups page.
Serve with Peace and Social Witness subcommittees
We are seeking enthusiastic and engaged Quakers to serve with our peace groups and subcommittees. The subcommittees oversee our peace and witness work both in the UK and internationally. By offering your time, experience and talents, you help shape our peace action around the world.
For full information visit the Committees and Groups page and scroll to the Quaker Peace and Social Witness section, or email our Nominations team at email@example.com for an informal conversation.
How can I offer my service?
- Quick form for a particular role
If you would like to be considered for a particular role, or would like to recommend someone else, please complete an Expression of Interest Form (takes about 5 minutes).
- Full form for all service roles
If you would like to be considered for all service roles, fill in the Quaker Service Information Form (takes about 10-15 minutes) to share your experience, skills, and gifts in detail with us.
If you would like to volunteer with the charity or at our events, please visit the dedicated Jobs and Volunteering page.