Yearly Meeting is organised and run by Quakers. There is a role for every Friend who will attend Yearly Meeting, no matter their resources.
Details of the volunteering roles that took place at YMG 2021 are provided below.
- Support the wellbeing of our online community by working with members of the Pastoral Care group to provide practical help or a listening ear.
- Support the Children and Young People's programme as a volunteer.
- Serve on a nominations committee.
- Offer a community activity.
- Become a community champion. At your area or local meeting, explore ways of celebrating YMG with your local community.
Serve on Yearly Meeting Nominating Committee
- Yearly Meeting Nominating Committee nominates Friends to serve on Central Nominations Committee (CNC). CNC finds Friends for roles across Britain Yearly Meeting. These include roles such as the Yearly Meeting Clerks, BYM Trustees and Treasurer, and members of central committees. CNC cannot nominate members to their own committee.
Yearly Meeting Nominating Committee are appointed at Yearly Meeting. Friends who serve on this Nominating Committee meet a few times a year to find Friends to serve on CNC.
Enquiries are now closed for YM Nominating Committee, if you are interested in Quaker service please visit our Give Time area for more information.
Join the Pastoral Care team
- Support the wellbeing of our online community by working with members of the Pastoral Care group to provide practical help or a listening ear. This is a team of Friends who offer support to those who attend Yearly Meeting. As a member of the Pastoral Care team you may be required to miss some of the Yearly Meeting sessions.
You will be part of a small team. We do not anticipate asking you to serve for more than three sessions, but you can let us know if you would prefer to do fewer.
Friends will need to be comfortable with Zoom. Friends on the Pastoral Care team will undergo a DBS check as they may be supporting vulnerable individuals. There should be a balance in the group with Friends who have a range of experiences, these may include:
- Using listening skills or providing care (professional or personal)
- Experience of disability and/or the issues arising from the YM theme
- Experience of teamwork supported by organisational skills
Offer a community activity
- Can you provide an activity online that will help Friends build community? This could be:
- a chance to chat
- an activity to undertake together online
These activities do not have to be directly linked to the theme of Yearly Meeting.
You will need to set up the meeting yourself. We strongly suggest using Zoom as most Friends are comfortable with the software. You will need:
- to provide your own Zoom account
- to provide a supporting Friend to help you with the technical aspects of the activity. They will need to be present throughout the entirety of your activity.
Become a community champion in your own area or local meeting
- Just as we all have different experiences of the light, so we have different expectations of Yearly Meeting Gathering (YMG) – perhaps this year more than ever as we prepare to hold our gathering mainly online.
As we look forward to July, there are some options for getting Friends in your area meeting involved during YMG. We don't all have to do things in the same way, so please pick and mix from the ideas, finding ways to suit your own area or local meeting. Please see suggestions of ways to support and champion Yearly Meeting Gathering (PDF).
Children and Young People (CYP) Volunteer
- We are not currently recruiting for team members for Yearly Meeting Gathering Children & Families and Young People's Programmes. However, we will be recruiting for our autumn and 2022 events in the coming months.
To stay updated about future volunteering at events, please fill in our online form. You will be sent information about volunteering opportunities for our next round of recruitment.