Meeting dates and deadlines for forwarding a minute
If your area meeting decides to forward a minute to Meeting for Sufferings you will find it helpful to refer to the dates of forthcoming meetings:
3 February - send minutes by Sunday 7 January 2018
7 April - send minutes by Monday 1 March 2018
7 July - send minutes by Sunday 20 May 2018
6 October (with the Young People's Participation Day)
23-25 November (residential, at Woodbrooke)
4-6 October (residential - venue TBC)
7 December (with the Young People's Participation Day)
2-4 October (residential - venue TBC)
5 December (with the Young People's Participation Day)
It is helpful to know how the concern has been tested:
- What experiences have led to this concern and how is it being addressed locally?
- What commitment has the Meeting made?
- Has a central or standing committee, or Britain Yearly Meeting (BYM) staff been consulted?
Please attach any supporting documents or minutes.
'Our faith in the future'
Please explain how the concern will help us to work towards Meeting for Sufferings' vision 'Our faith in the future'. Find out more about Our faith in the future.
Linking concerns to faith
What is the faith basis of the concern? It helps when the sending meeting makes explicit the connection with our faith. It is important for this to be explained more fully than by a brief reference to Quaker testimonies. As well as knowing how we are called to act, it is helpful to understand how our faith leads or pushes us in this direction.
Sending meetings are also asked to make it clear what is distinctively Quaker about the concern and the way we might be called to act. Before sending the minute please test whether and why we might be called to act alone, or whether it would be better to join with other groups that are taking similar action.
What is the intention?
Please send information about what action(s) are hoped for - for example:
- to inform Meeting for Sufferings and Quakers throughout Britain about a locally-held concern?
- to test an emerging concern?
- to lead to action – if so, what action and who might act?
If it is important that the item reaches Meeting for Sufferings speedily, please tell us and explain why.
Which body is sending the minute?
These bodies may communicate formally by minute with Meeting for Sufferings:
- Area meetings
- General Meeting for Scotland
- the Meeting of Friends in Wales
- Six Weeks Meeting
- Young Friends General Meeting
- Britain Yearly Meeting Trustees
- The standing committees appointed by Yearly Meeting or Meeting for Sufferings.
Other groups are welcome to contact the Meeting for Sufferings clerks informally.